Re: RE: products for fully cleaning a windshield

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, virtualvairs@corvair.hostway.com,
Subject: Re: RE: products for fully cleaning a windshield
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 10:08:21 -0700
"Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@voyager.net>

> Well it goes back to 1955 when Chevy came out with their first V8 and they
> had a problem with rings seating. GM issued a service bulletin for a dealer
> "fix". Have one mechanic hold the revs at about 4k and another one shake Bon
> Ami down the throat of the carb. Use a whole can. Run it for a few more
> minutes and then change the oil and filter. ----rings are now seated. (not

I actually used this method once to seat some rings...  Well not exactly this
method, but close.  I rebuilt my '73 Vega engine, and the rings didn't
completely seat, even after a couple of thousand miles (the aluminum engine was
actually an aluminum-silica alloy, and extremely hard - you were supposed to
use an acid etch to "hone" the cylinders).  A friend suggested a teaspoon of
baking powder in each spark plug hole.  Two treatments and about a hundred
miles (and the necessary oil change), and the engine was up to full
compression...   And the engine ran fine for another 100,000+ miles...

Tim Mullen
Chantilly, VA

72 Elan Sprint
94 Miata R pkg