Re: Cutting holes

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cutting holes
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 12:05:35 -0400 (EDT)
Chip wrote:

> I recently acquired a "driver" 1960 SAAB 93F with a lovely GT dash and a
> dead 10 year old Audiovox radio.
> ...it's a 2-knobber, and the dash is cut for something like that!
> ... I gotta cut to DIN size

Three suggestions:

1) Call Crutchfield and ask about options for the "nose and 2 knob"
   format units.  Options are falling by the wayside, but I think
   there are still some available.  An in dash CD is a challenge
   for that format, but some can handle a remote changer.

2) If you must cut, use this as an excuse to buy a Dremel tool.  It's
   great for this sort of thing.  (I used one to enlarge the "nose"
   area for a new radio in my TR6.  Didn't have the nerve to cut a
   full DIN opening -- maybe next time.)

3) If you cut, be sure to look carefully behind the dash before
   starting the cut.  Make sure there aren't any supports or
   braces which will keep you from fitting the DIN unit.  Front
   to back depth might be an issue as well.

Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com