Re: Sandblast cabinets

To: tboicey@brit.ca, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sandblast cabinets
From: Duncan120@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 08:55:36 EDT
In a message dated 5/7/99 2:01:17 AM Central Daylight Time, tboicey@brit.ca
writes:

<<   What abrasives should I be using for different jobs? I bought a bag of
sand because it was cheap and it seems to work really well on the usual
surface
rust. I am curious what other abrasives I can use for different purposes.>>

Aluminum Oxide in various grits, 36 to 600 is available for cleaning rust. It
is cheaper than sand in that it is reusable. Sand looses it's cutting power
around the third hit on parts. By varying the grit and the pressure almost
any type of surface finish can be obtained.
Silicone Carbide for the really heavy rust is also good with a very
aggressive cutting action.
Glass beads produce a nice sheen, good before you send stuff to be Cadmium
plated.
Walnut Shell are good for internal engine parts.
I would look in the commercial Yellow Pages and get catalogues listing their
materials available and their uses.

 <<What sort of health concerns and I in for if I breathe it?>>
 Silicosis....... you don't want that.

<<  ...related to the above, what will this dust do to my other tools and
cars parked in
 the garage?>>
Ruin them, especially if they contaminate an engine part. Otherwise just
screw up the paint finish.

<<My compressor air intake is rather close to the sandblast cabinet now,
should I be concerned?>>
Only if you don't have a good intake filter. I would run a remote filter to a
cold area, such as outside.

<< Any tips welcome. >>
I would use a piece of thin cheap glass on the inside of the cabinet, between
the tempered glass and the blasting "room."  When it gets cloudy it is much
cheaper to replace than the tempered stuff.

Ron