Re: Any words of wisdom re: engine hoist?

To: Steve Hammatt <shammatt@sos.net>
Subject: Re: Any words of wisdom re: engine hoist?
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:09:43 -0400
Steve Hammatt wrote:

> I know we've covered everything about engine stands, etc. but now
> I'm looking at getting a roll-around, fold-upable, standable in the corner
> type engine hoist.  You know the type with the hyd cylinder and hand pump,
> legs that fold up (but still have 4 large casters on the ground), etc.
> I didn't see one in Harbor Freight online.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Steve

My only advice is make sure that the hydraulic ram is a made in the
US high quality ram.  About 2 years ago I bought a floor jack from
Harbor Freight.  They were the only people selling a floor jack that
had a 32" lift.  After light use the ram started to leak oil. Now I
can't find seals for the damn thing.  My solution is to park in on a
piece of cardboard and add more jack oil when it stops lifting high
enough.  Watch out for the cheap off shore junk.

On the other hand does anyone know of someone making a quality
floor jack with a high lift?  Just my two cents.

Bill Gilroy