SUMMARY: Layup of carbon fiber?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: SUMMARY: Layup of carbon fiber?
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 11:13:26 -0800
Thanks to all for your help and suggestions on cf layup.  I tried playing with
it
this weekend on a simple item, and it seemed to have turned out okay.  Not the
best
looking, but this was strictly a trial, and I didn't have the vacuum bag setup
either.  I also have not tried trimming the final part, which I should at least
practice before I try my "real" project.  From the sounds of it, I may be best
off
using a cutoff wheel and a sander to do the final finish.  FWIW, I got my
materials
locally at a place call TAP Plastic; they were very helpful.  My layup consisted
of medium wt. cf fabric (single layer) and epoxy resin; I plan on trying vacuum
bagging next, using an old refrigerator compressor as the vacuum source (I don't
think my shop vac is going to cut it.....).

Mike

From: Todd Walke <racertod@ix.netcom.com>

From: "Simon & Heidi Young" <mothra@bigpond.com.au>

From: Smith Timothy M CIV AFRL/VASE <Timothy.Smith@va.wpafb.af.mil>