Re: rounded off nut removal

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: rounded off nut removal
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 12:15:55 -0800
On Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 11:34:30PM -0500, Trevor Boicey wrote:

> McVintage@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > Suggestions wanted for removing rounded off nut where space and
> > clearance around the nut are VERY limited. Its at the flange joining
> > diff to prop shaft on my TR6 - on the diff side of the flange.
>
>   Nothing works like heat. If you can heat it cherry
> red then throw a rag on it, it will likely be finger
> tight after that. (and certainly loose enough for
> a vice-grip)

If that doesn't work, try slitting the nut with a cut-off
wheel in a dremel tool.  Even if you don't slice all
the way throught the nut, cutting most of the way
through will loosen it up.

--
Eric Murray          N*Able Technologies                    www.nabletech.com
(email:  ericm  at the sites lne.com or nabletech.com)     PGP keyid:E03F65E5