Re: rounded off nut removal

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rounded off nut removal
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 00:11:34 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: McVintage@aol.com

>Suggestions wanted for removing rounded off nut where space and
>clearance around the nut are VERY limited. Its at the flange joining
>diff to prop shaft on my TR6 - on the diff side of the flange.

Too tight a place for a socket?  Usually, I can find a six point socket,
worn out, metric etc. that will remove a rounded nut.  If there's no socket
room and it was rounded off with a 12 point box-end or an open end,
sometimes a 6 point box end will help.  Sometimes, a 6 point and some piano
wire ends wedged around the opening will help.
Then there are vise-grips, a good tool of last resort . . I've even
sacrificed a pair of Tiwan vise grips and ground the jaws to fit a butchered
nut.  I've filed two flats on a nut so that an open end will fit, I've
ground a nut down to the thread and then chiseled it off, I've used a little
cheap air hammer and ground on the bit 'til it can  turn a nut chisel-style.
Actually, if a rounded nut is giving me much trouble, I go get the
"flame-wrench" and torch it off.
:-)
Tony