Re: Pittsburgh and Husky tools

To: Aaron Bergman <orion15@usa.net>
Subject: Re: Pittsburgh and Husky tools
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 13:26:57 -0500 (EST)
Not wanting to start a long thread about cheap vs good let me give you my
experience with Pittsburg tools. The only time I buy these cheap tools is
when I see a tool that I won't use a lot. I have had 2 Pittsburg deep
impact sockets split on me over a five year peroid. Both times I called
HarborFreight and they sent me a free replacement without me having to
return the broken socket or pay any shipping. I have a set of stubby
wrenches that I bought from HF for $9 dollars and at times they were the
only ones that would work so I was glad I had them on hand. A neighbor of
mine works at the University Of Buffalo and did a Rockwell test on a set
of open end wrenches. He gave me some numbers which didn't mean anything
to me but he said that the numbers were good. Not great but good enough
for the home mechanic not to have to worry about rounding off the heads of
bolts. I would never consider a set of Snap On because I couldn't justify
the cost. To me it would be the same as spending $50 dollars on a pair of
jeans vs. $15 for a pair of Lee's. I wouldn't dare pound the S*** out of a
Snap On wrench for fear of maring the beautiful finish just as I wouldn't
think of crawling around in a pair of $50 dollar jeans. If you want a
pretty tool then buy a Snap On, if you want a good tool buy a Craftsman
and if you want a lot of tools that may or may not last a life time then
buy Pittsburg.
...Art