Re: degreasers

To: "Aaron Bergman" <orion15@usa.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: degreasers
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 19:45:24 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Bergman
>hi
>I'm working on rebuilding an old pickup truck, and after 50 years of hard
>work and driving, grease and dirt become the general undercoating.  I have
>heard of many kinds of degreasers, everything from dish soap and water to
>TSP (what is that?).   I've found that gasoline is the best, but if you try
>to spray it from an all purpose spray bottle, it eats away the plastic
parts
>and the bottle won't spray anymore.  What's the general opinion on
>degreasers?  What works the best for heavy grease and crud?  I'll be mostly
>scrubbing with a toothbrush or brush, not pressure washing...
>thanks.
>Aaron Bergman
>http://members.xoom.com/49axial

Aaron,
Gas is great but you're gonna get blown over the barn by the first spark you
strike, believe me.  If you don't want to use the great common degreasers
such as "Gunk Concentrate", use something safe such as straight diesel fuel
.  .  it does everything gas does but it doesn't evaporate and it won't
explode if you strike a spark.  The trick is to daub it on with an old
paint brush twice a day 'til it softens the crud . . .then hose it off with
the garden hose and repeat 'til clean.  The next step is a brush scrub with
a good HD detergent.

been there, done that . .
Tony