Re: Bolts and Things

To: prsmith@navnet.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bolts and Things
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:33:30 EST
In a message dated 1/27/99 8:09:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
prsmith@navnet.net writes:

<< I am in the process of removing bits and pieces form my '62 MGA.  As I
 replace these items i would like to do so with new hardware. Can anyone
 tell me how to tell whether a British bolt of that era is of mild or
 hardened steel?  There are some marks on the head of the bolts but I have
 not been able to find out what they mean. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Preston,

You should only use grade 5 or grade 8 bolts in your project.  The marks on
the head indicate the grade.  Three lines (making a triangle) means the bolt
is grade 5, six lines (one at each point) means grade 8.  If there are no
lines, you have a hardware grade bolt (or grade 2) that is not strong enough
for use in the car.  Many DPOs have used cheap hardware in earlier repairs
because it is readily available in hardware stores and mass merchandisers.
Take them out and use them the next time you have to repair a fence or a
chair.

You may also find stainless steel or aircraft grade hardware, but this is
usually more expensive and not required.  Harbor Freight sells a "Storehouse"
of 1000 pieces of grade 5 hardware for $59 if you need to purchase some.  Go
to: http://www.harborfreight.com to order and get a catalog.

Good luck with your A.  (I'd love to have one!)

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget (DSP)
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport (HS)