Re: Garage Headroom for Lift

To: John Napoli <jgn@li.net>
Subject: Re: Garage Headroom for Lift
From: Peter Schauss <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:55:26 +0000
At 01:32 PM 1/27/99 -0500, you wrote:

>What is the minimum floor-to-ceiling distance for installing a lift for
>car storage?  Are lifts available that could be specified by the height of
>the two cars to be stacked, plus whatever space is required in between for
>the mechanism?
>
>Thanks,

I have a four post lift (Cytech) in a garage with an 8' 8" ceiling.  I can
get either of my British cars up to the 4 1/2 foot level.  This would be
just barely enough room to get the other one underneath except that,
with one car at that height, I cannot open the garage door far enough
to get another one in.

This is not really an issue in my case, since my primary reason for
buying the lift was so that I could work on my cars.  If you intend to stack
your cars, you should think about door clearance, however.

If you call the places which advertise in Hemmings, most will fax or mail
detailed spec sheets with dimensions.  With these, you should be able to
determine if the lift will fit in your garage and whether you will be able
to raise one car high enough to get another one underneath.

Peter Schauss, Long Island, NY
1963 BJ7
1980 MGB