Re: Bolts and Things

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bolts and Things
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 01:01:02 -0600
http://www.shoptools.com has a good tap drill chart in a big type size that
prints out nicely.
  My suggestion on the bolt types is to find a local source that sells good
grade fives "by the pound".  They're so cheap that you can afford to lay in
a stock of 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" in both threads and several lengths . . .
They'll cover most household, lawnmower and MG applications and save you a
ton of time in "parts chasing".   Throw away any grade twos you find,
they're no good for anything.   For critical internal engine bolts, don't
substitute .  .   get the real deal from a proper MG parts supplier.

Cheers,
Tony

>I need to further my education.
>
>I am in the process of removing bits and pieces form my '62 MGA.  As I
>replace these items i would like to do so with new hardware. Can anyone
>tell me how to tell whether a British bolt of that era is of mild or
>hardened steel?  There are some marks on the head of the bolts but I have
>not been able to find out what they mean.
>
>I bought my first tap and die set today.  Is there a good tutorial on the
>web on how to use such things?  What are the drill sizes one should use
>prior to tapping a hole?  In the absence of a web site can anyone send me
>some tips on how to use these instruments?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Preston

>| Our 62 MGA 1600 MK II and 80 MGB LE are waiting for warm weather
>| Betti Ann and Preston Smith in the Head of St Margaret's Bay, Nova
Scotia, Canada.