Re: Question on Brands

To: glasgow@serv.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question on Brands
From: Duncan120@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 20:59:44 EST
I am not a professional either, but more of a hobbyist (that's gotten out of
hand).
I find the new "consumer" items lacking and the "industrial" products out of
range price wise for what I need to do.  So...........
I buy used industrial tools (drill press, grinder, buffer, etc.). The prices
are usually much lower than a new consumer item and the quality 10 times
better.  The most I ever had to replace was the bearings.   Granted, I don't
depend on these for my living, so if something did go wrong I would be
inconvenienced but there would be no customers complaining that the job wasn't
finished on time etc....
Check the auctions in your local paper and contact some shops too. They almost
always have old machinery that they will get rid of reasonably.  They know the
dealers won't pay them much.
Got a Delta drill press from the early 50's for $25. Needed $15 worth of
bearings, $6 in paint, a little Gunk, some scrubbing, a little oil, a new
electrical cord, and about 2 hours of my time.  Looks new, works new, and
there's not one bit of plastic on it.
I'd look for Delta, Clausing, or Wilton items. Parts are easy to get and with
reasonable care they will out last both of us.
Just something to think about.

Ron