Question on Brands

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Question on Brands
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 16:24:46 -0800
There was a comment here the other day about Delta drill presses vs.
Craftsman. I've seen Delta tools at the tool stores, but I know I can take
a Craftsman back to Sears if anything goes wrong. I don't know anything
about Delta.

My situation is that I'm a car-nut hobbyist, not a professional machinist,
so I don't look at tools as a business expense. But I prefer to buy the
best quality I can when I do pick something up. I've got most of the hand
tools I need, and now I'm expanding into air tools, drill press, grinders,
welder, etc.

What's the opinion(s) of the group on the major brands with regards to
quality? I'm not trying to start a flame war here, I'm just trying to get
some feedback. Maybe some of you could just list what you think the top
three brands are, in order of quality.

If you don't want to bog down the whole list with this, feel free to
respond to me directly. My thanks in advance to any who care to comment.
Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org