Re: Screwdriving

To: Ken Landaiche <ken.landaiche@dlcc.com>
Subject: Re: Screwdriving
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:55:36 -0800
>Last week I tried to drive some four inch deck screws into studs to hold
>some 2.5" furring strips. even with pilot holes, I kept getting near the
>end when the bit would slip out of the philips slot and drill it out.
>How do you drive those suckers successfully? The bits were new
>Milwaukees. The drill was an old variable speed Craftsman with no brake.

Ken,
I bought some "bit grip" compound at a swap meet some time ago; looks like
the same stuff that Sears sells.  You coat the tip of the bit with it, and
it provides some extra friction, preventing it from slipping.  I'm not positive,
it looks an awful lot like valve grinding compound.....

When I was putting together my benches and racks (with 4x4's =8^), I used
some screws call "Deckmate"; they took phillips and robertson (sp?; the
square ones).  I never had a problem with stripping a robertson.

Mike