Re: Heating Garage

To: Richard George <rkg@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: Heating Garage
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:19:38 -0500
Richard George wrote:
> I have to disagree with your statement about the need to "mud" drywall jobs
> - there are acouple of good reasons to do this - the first is FIRE!  any
> kind of gap in your fire rated layer
> (especially near the ceiling) can act like a chimney

  I am not sure this still applies to an insulated
wall, would you say? No way anything in there is going
to act like a chimney. As well, vapour barrier plugs
the holes at least for air. (until the vapour barrier
melts I guess, but by then you have a problem!)

> house, and that is that plugging the holes tends to block noxious fumes
> from whatever you are doing
> in the shop from getting out in ways that you don't want them to...

  Again, in an attached garage it's not generally
a problem because the side of the garage that interfaces
the house is normally already insulated, finished, and
so on. Usually just the outside walls that require treatment
of any kind.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca