Re: Heating Garage

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Heating Garage
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 16:57:54 -0800
David Ligda wrote:

>  Unfortunately it will mean tearing down the drywall that is
> already up.  That would not be a great loss since it's old, ugly, and dingy.

David,

Might I suggest that once you insulate it, you might consider putting up
peg board instead of dry wall.  When I was renovating my shop, I did 1/2
of it with 3/8" thick, white peg board (it has 1/4" peg holes and is
covered with ultra white vinyl of some sort). Just measure, trim and
nail it up, and you are done -- no painting or sanding.

You can even see the electrical receptacles through it well enough to
use one of those Roto Zip spiral saws (what a great gift) to cut out the
receptacle openings from the face. You can spend the time you save
working on your project instead of inhaling drywall dust.

The stuff is great! Grease just wipes off, you can hang tools anywhere
you typically use them, don't have to build all of the shelves, and you
don't have to spend a week out there taping, mudding, priming, painting
the first coat, painting the second coat, repainting every time you
spray some oil on the wall (who, me?). :)

The downside is that is was a little pricy, especially compared to the
1/4" thick, 1/8" hole, brown pressboard pegboard.  There was some of the
1/4" stuff out there, too, but it is almost impossible to paint (acts
like a sponge and bleeds through multiple coats), is brittle and the
1/8" peg holes are simply too small and weak for anything larger than a
screwdriver rack.

The reason this is so salient to me at the moment is that this week, I
am repainting the other half of the shop that I did not cover with the
white peg board (it has T&G pine, french doors and windows, etc.).

Day after day this week I have been out there scraping, priming first
coat, second coat, scraping the windows, cleaning up spills, and so
forth. The only thing I hate worse than painting is drywall finishing.

Did I mention how much I hate to paint?  I should be out there working
on the TR6 instead of scraping paint off from windows.

doug