Re: Argon , CO2 , Weld mix ????

To: "Vintage Race List" <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Argon , CO2 , Weld mix ????
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 19:17:01 -0600
Someone illustrated the necessity of some training in preparation for
welding:

>When welding steel with pure argon you will have a problem due to lack of
>carbon in the weld area which will cause the steel to be brittle.
>You should use C25 (25% C02) and buy a book on welding that discusses
>such topics.

I will take that advise a bit farther as my personal opinion:

Buying a welding rig . . .of any type . . . does not make one a competent
welder.
The best parallel I can site is that of buying a guitar.  Buying a guitar
does not make one  Chet Atkins.   Guitar playing and welding require similar
amounts of learning and practice.   While one _can_ stick two pieces of
metal together with little basic knowledge,  it is very desirable to have
some grasp of what one is doing.  Most vo-tech schools offer introductory
welding as a night or weekend class with competent supervision.   Don't be
put off by having to start with gas welding . . . the fusion welding
principle is exactly the same and once gas welding is grasped, all other
modes fall into place.

Tony
2 quarters of welding "101", 16 hours per week , semi-competent on gas,
stick & mig.