Re: Argon , CO2 , Weld mix ????

To: nogera@juno.com
Subject: Re: Argon , CO2 , Weld mix ????
From: rwil@cts.com (Roland Wilhelmy)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 17:56:05 GMT
On Thu, 12 Nov 1998 07:58:30 -0600, you wrote:
:: When welding mild steel with a MIG set up, is there any advantage to
:: using Argon or a Argon Co2 mix as apposed  to CO2 ?  [snip]
::=20
:: And finally, my Mig has four amp settings , well true to my life the =
22 g
:: metal of my current project seems to fall right smack between 1 and 2.
:: Any suggestions as to techniques  to reduce the heat  to prevent burn
:: through.
:: Bob Nogueira

I think an argon/CO2 mix like C25 would help you, but the cheapest
'fix' is to trigger your MIG on for only a second or two at a time,
holding the torch in place while it's off, and triggering (and welding
more bead, of course) for another second or two.  This lets the thin
metal cool down so it won't melt away.  Have you tried moving the
torch faster?  Placing a hunk of copper behind the seam is a standard
trick, too.

C25 will give you cleaner welds, maybe less blow-through, and cost
more.  I use it for all my MIG welding on steel.  I tried straight
argon and didn't like the result, but it would be the ticket if you
like tall, narrow beads :-)

-Roland
w/Hobart Handler 120