Re: wire welders

To: Curt Strohacker <strohacker@chesco.com>
Subject: Re: wire welders
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:56:50 -0500
Curt Strohacker wrote:
> "While I have no use for the flux wire, it works
> out free and maybe I'll use it someday to weld up
> something that doesn't need to look pretty. The gas
> is somewhat expensive to use if you are doing long
> welds."
>
> All units can be converted to flux core wire. It is handy for welding
> outdoors. The heater in my garage will blow away the gas shield on my
> MIG PAC 15. The tips are $12.99 for a pack of ten. My whole Morris
> Minor restoration needed 2 tips.

  You will also need the liner for 0.045 wire, which isn't cheap.

  I would recommend checking out the price difference between
weldpak+gas kit and mig pak, since in my case the wire, liner,
and tips worked out free.

> But....when was the last time Home Depot supported a car club? Gone
> to a auto flea market? Answered questions on rusty floor boards?

  You'll still end up supporting a real welding shop to the
tune of several hundred bucks. Home depot doesn't sell
refillable gas bottles, nor do they fill them.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca