Re: Aluminum treatment

To: "Mark MarKell" <mark@micro-engineering.com>
Subject: Re: Aluminum treatment
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 12:39:58 -0600
Mark MarKell asked about an old message on  aluminum treatment:

That was probably me .  .  .  I've posted lots of Aircraft Spruce
recommendations.   Call them for their $5 (appliable) catalog,  it's about
500 pages of goodies and tech information with big-time application to our
kind of cars.

The products I've used many times are:

Alumniprep #33  cleaner and brightener

Alodine #1001 clear sealer/stabilizer;  apply after brightener

Alodine #1201 golden/transparent sealer/stabilizer for use under paint or
when the gold alonized appearance is desirable.  (One formula Vee engine
builder alonizes his engine blocks and transmission cases and they really
looked good with red or green paint on the tinwork.)

I've also used the #33 and #1001 on magnesium wheels and uprights though A/C
Spruce tech people weren't sure about using it on magnesium . . it worked
for me.  One caveat:
on the magnesium:  If a clear-coat is desirable use Zynolyte  . . . another
brand of spray clear turned the magnesium an ugly yellow.

Dealing with an Eleven, a Westfield eleven, a 51, a 23 and a Super 7 over
the years, I've had "acres" of bare aluminum to make presentable.  Matching
new aluminum to old was a challenge.  I evolved a method which leaves a
sealed  matte finish on all the
panels; new metal and old metal alike:  I use the finest (grey)
"Scotch-Brite" pad on a D-A sander to achieve the matte appearance and then
the #33, #1001 and then Zynolyte clear.

Tony