RE: Extra jack lifting height

To: "'Chris Heerschap'" <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Extra jack lifting height
From: Keith Kaplan <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 13:38:12 -0700
Here are my 2 cents:

cent #1)  Any garage has room enough for a hoist.  It's just a question of
how crazy/creative you are.  See www.kaplanfamily.net/dormer.htm to see how
crazy I am.

cent #2)  Hoists are cheaper than your lost wages if a car decides to fall
on you.  I lifted my MR2 up on wood & cinder blocks to pull its engine, but
I was young & childless at the time.

With that said, yes, it works much better with the wood underneath the jack.
It may also be helpful to put a 2' 2x6 or 2x8 in front of each wheel, then
roll the car forward onto the blocks before you slip the jack under.  It's a
free 1.5" of clearance, which can make all the difference.