Re: Suspending a hoist

To: Peter Schauss <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Suspending a hoist
From: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 15:32:55 -0700
Peter Schauss wrote:

> I am thinking about using a 1 ton chain hoist to pull the engine on
> my Healey (about 600 # without the gearbox ).  If I run an eye bolt
> through the ceiling and spread the weight over several joists, will they
> hold the weight safely?  If so, how many joists and what size eye bolt?
>
> I have a two car garage (about 22' x 22').
>
> Thanks,
> Peter Schauss, Long Island, NY
> 1963 BJ7
> 1980 MGB

I'm about ready to do the same thing (my garage is about 24x24), but I'm
thinking of propping up the joist with a couple of 4x4s or 2x6s, one on
either side of the car. Might make two A-frames of 2x4s instead, again
with one one either side. If I'm about to bring the garage down around
me, PLEASE let me know!! Thanks.

Michael Ferguson
Vernon, CT