Re: Setting up shop

To: "Hamish Hubbard (and Ode)" <ode@ihug.co.nz>
Subject: Re: Setting up shop
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 21:36:44 -0500
Hamish, If you want good hand tools, you will spend some serious bucks.  I
saw a thread from someone recommending Craftsman.  I beg to differ.  They
are cheap, made to sell at a low price, and have seriously declined in
quality over the years.  The wrenches and sockets do not fit well.  My
personal choice for many years has been Snapon, but there are some others
of good quality out there.  Best bet is to look for a set for sale by
someone leaving the business.  I got my first major set brand new at less
than .50 on the $ from a mechanic who quit just after his insurance bought
new tools to replace a theft.  that was at least 15 years ago and the are
still like new, though they get regular use.  Also suggest that your major
welding investment be a 220v. MIG machine.  It will do a great deal of what
you will want to do.  Have fun.  John