Re: Setting up shop

To: ode@ihug.co.nz, tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: Setting up shop
From: johnm@ims.com (John Miller)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 07:42:55 -0700
Trevor Boicey wrote:
> > - Tools. (Sockets, screwdrivers, panelwork, air/electric tools etc).
> > What are some names of "can't go wrong if you buy this" brands. I'm
> > tired of cheap sockets that wear out in a few months, especially ones
> > that look the part but aren't.

[snip, snip]

>   Since you can get a cheap widget for $20 or a good one for $150,
> it's a risk worth taking. I've been told that after a few years a
> lot of people still have a lot of the $20 tools that are either
> acceptable or used so little that the shortcomings are worth
> putting up with.

Good strategy.  One upgrade that I was very pleased with was the
1/2" air impact wrench.  Bought a new IR2131 on sale at a swap meet.
It is very light (4 1/2 lbs as I remember - it has a very tough
plastic handle), its quieter (discharges thru the handle reducing
the sound), and has a high power reverse (600 lbs) independent of
the force setting in the forward direction.  It also seems very
consistent in the torque applied in the 4 forward settings.
The low cost imports seem very crude by comparison.
Trouble is, it is available commonly for about $180, I got mine
for $112.  I wonder how much markup there is in these things?

John Miller