Parts/Dish Washer Machine

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Parts/Dish Washer Machine
From: Douglas Shook <dshook@usc.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 09:32:09 -0700
Using a dishwasher as a parts washer actually is a very interesting
idea.  I wasn't going to admit it here, but I guess it is safe as my
wife does not see this newsgroup. I have been using our new KitchenAide
dishwasher (in the kitchen) as a parts washer.

I ordered a parts washer last week so that I could discontinue using the
kitchen appliance, but I would have to support your findings that it
does a fine job on motorcycle cylinder heads even with the basic
powdered dishwasher soap set on pots scrubber mode.

Of course, I could only do this when the wife was away.  One thing I did
find, though, is a great way to clean the dishwasher after using it as a
parts washer--a full jar of Tang.

Now I know this probably sounds loony, but I actually got the advice
from an appliance repair show that is on a radio station back in Detroit
(WJR).  This fellow recommended running your dishwasher empty (full of
water but no soap, dishes or cylinder heads), and once it has filled
with water, open the door and pour in a full jar of powdered Tang, and
then just let it cycle through as normal.  Maybe it is the citric acid,
I don't know, but it does a great job on cleaning up the tank, sprayers
and racks.  The orange flavor also makes the kitchen smell great.

I am not kidding--this really does work. I didn't invent it, either, so
there is some track record out there.  The fact that an appliance
repairman would recommend doing this on a radio program probably would
indicate that is little possibility for appliance damage, given the
litigatousness (sic?) of our society.

Anyway, back to the dedicated dishwasher in the garage--almost makes me
wish I had gone that route instead, though I don't have running water in
the garage.  I also wonder, too, how well the dishwasher works on oil
galleys, water jackets, etc., that are not subject to the direct spray
of the washer (my dishwasher does not submerge the parts, it only sprays
them).

My thinking here is that being summerged in an agitated parts washer
with a solvent such as Agitene or Varsol probably does a better job on
those "hidden" drillings and chambers. I guess it also is more practical
for cleaning up one part or some wrenches as you work--my dishwasher
takes about 45 minutes or so to run a load.

But honestly, I think your notion of putting a dedicated dishwasher in
the garage is a great idea.  There is no reason why you could not use
one of the water-based parts washer solvents (e.g., Aquatane).  My
KitchenAide has a heating element in it, so you could have a heated,
water-based parts washing machine.

I just paid $250 for a 30 gallon, 200 GPH, tank mounted parts washer
that may not have shipped yet. For that price I could have bought a new
dishwasher! I measured the inside of my dishwasher and it is about
20"x22"x21", pretty tight for a straight 6 cylinder head or other long
parts (the parts washer is 35"x27", made of 16 gauge steel), but I am
still waffling on this.

Somebody please convince me I did not make a mistake!