RE: Parts/Dish Washer Machine

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Subject: RE: Parts/Dish Washer Machine
From: Mark Miller <markm@tutsys.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 15:07:23 -0700
Flash point numbers sounds dangerously low but there is the saving =
grace
that they call for a source of ignition.

Basically, any easily burned liquid will have a flash point that will =
scare
you.  Think about it - every car with a half tank of gas could =
potentially
take out a city block.  here is some description of the testing method,
taken off the net from http://www.saybolt.nl/sdc/material/122.htm:

Mark 'the torch' Miller

Flash point and fire point (Cleveland open cup)=20

     Equivalent standard methods:
     - ASTM D 92
     - IP 36
     - ISO 2592=20

     Significance
     The Flash point measures the tendency of the sample to form a =
flammable
mixture with air under controlled laboratory conditions.
     It is only one of a number of properties which must be considered =
when
assessing the overall flammability hazard of a material.
     The flashpoint is used in shipping and safety regulations.
     The firepoint measures the characteristics of the sample to =
support
combustion. This method can be used for temperatures as high as =
400=F8C.=20

     Method
     Increase the temperature rapidly at first and then at a slow =
constant
as the flashpoint is approached. A small flame is directed into the =
cup. The
test
     flame at the proper temperature causes ignition of the vapor above =
the
sample. The fire point can be determined by continuing the test to a
temperature
     at which the sample burns for at least 5 s.=20