Solvent Disposal/Reclamation

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Solvent Disposal/Reclamation
From: Douglas Shook <dshook@usc.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 08:39:53 -0700
As Nils said, most every community has a day when you can take motor
oil, paints, pesticides, etc., in for disposal. They may have some
limits on quanitities, though, say a maximum of 5 or 10 gallons (this is
a reasonable limit as it is intended to prevent an industrial firm from
bringing in hundreds of gallons of toxic waste and have the community
dispose of it).

Something else you might consider is a local airport for private planes.
Our local airstrip keeps a site in one of the parking areas where you
can set your oils, solvents, etc., for disposal.  I don't know if they
intended to have non-aviation wastes collected there, but it works
great.

I also find that the aviation gas one can buy there works very well for
a particular high-compression BSA 600cc single cylinder bike I have had
for 25 years that tends to suffer from preignition (octane starvation)
on pump gas.

A question, though, since I recycle my motor oil in 5 gallon quantities
at the local Chief autoparts store, if one were to mix a little solvent
with the motor oil, would it be "salvageable" rather than just
incinerated (or whatever they do with the materials collected as
"toxics")?

I would not want to destroy the oil reclamation/recycling by "polluting"
it with solvent, but it seems like this might be a way to actually
recycle the stuff rather than burn or bury it.

regards,

doug