Re: Shop Equipment for sale

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: Shop Equipment for sale
From: Bill Rabel <brabel@dlux.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:30:33 +0000
> At 03:37 PM 6/16/98 -0500, Gano, Ken wrote:
> >A word of caution.  The oxy-acetylene tanks are probably the property of the
> >welding supply company.  I worked for one years ago, and the USUAL practice
> >is to sell a lease or take a deposit, but not to sell the cylinders
> >themselves..
>
> Maybe so, but some companies *will* sell the tanks.  I bought
> a set of tanks years ago, because I planned on keeping them
> and didn't feel like paying rental charges forever.

Buying the cylinders is fine if you still get them refilled at the same
supplier, but watch out if you try to get them refilled at a different
place. There are all sorts of safety regulations aimed at protecting
their employees from the hazard of "unknown source" cylinders that may
not be sound.

- Bill