RE: Air Compressor HP?

To: "'George Zhookoff'" <gzhookoff@e2m.com>,
Subject: RE: Air Compressor HP?
From: Keith Kaplan <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 13:38:24 -0700
Most household outlets are wired for 15-20 amps.  Let's say you were getting
all 20 amps out of your outlet.  20*110 is 2200 watts, which, assuming 100%
efficiency, is just under 3hp.  I think that's why you weren't that
impressed.  I went from a Sears "3 hp" (probably close in actual power to
your 1.5 hp CH) to a 2 stage 6 hp Devilbiss ($600 very slightly used) last
year, and that difference indeed blew my socks off.  Once that 80 gallon
tank is full of 175 psi air, you can sandblast for quite a while before it
needs to run again.

You should probably experience a better example of a "6 hp" compressor
before you talk yourself out of wanting one.