Re: Air Compressor HP?

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Air Compressor HP?
From: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 15:16:26 -0400
At 02:00 PM 6/8/98 -0400, George Zhookoff wrote:

>A while back I started a round of talk on Puma Air Compressors.
> Someone commented to watch out for Sears and the way they rate
>compressors.
>
>Well this weekend I borrowed a neighbors Sears 6 HP compressor.  It
>was better than my small 1.5 hp Campbell-H but it did not blow my
>socks away.  Is a DeVilbiss, Puma, any other 6 HP compressor better
>than a Sears, or is that as good as it gets?
>
>GEZ

As far as blowing your socks off, it would depend on whether its
a single or dual stage compressor.  I'm curious about the one
you borrowed from your neighbor.  Did you just happen to have
an appropriate 220 volt receptacle for it?   How did you move it
most 6 HP compressors I have seen are pretty big.

Forget all the other ratings and stuff ... as long as it does not
take move amps than you have to give the only thing that counts
is the number of cubic feet of air per minute at 90 PSI everything
else is pretty much irrelevant.

As far as Sears is concerned, they don't actually make ANYTHING!
They have it made for them be any number of manufacturers.  About
5 years ago if you bought one of their better compressors you in fact
got a DeVilbiss.   I bought myself a DeVilbiss 5HP 220 volt 20 Gal
tank about 2 years ago and am very satisfied with it.  It has plenty
of capacity for the most hungry of air tools (Air sanders/sand blaster)

Regards  Nils
Yardley,  PA
59(100-6)  69XKE  72/73MGB  52MGTD