Re: Loc-Tite vs. Anti-Sieze

To: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
Subject: Re: Loc-Tite vs. Anti-Sieze
From: Heather & Joe Way <sierrasa@psln.com>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 13:30:00 -0700
I've been holding my tongue (fingers?) on this so far, but am finally
compelled to comment. I am a *serious* user of Loctite products (some I
buy by the liter) and of antiseize, and each has its place. I've been
working on cars, mostly old ones, as an amateur and as a professional
for close to 40 years. I almost never use Loctite on threaded fasteners
in castings unless I'm trying to solve a specific problem. I'll
intersperse some comments after a little deletion:

Susan and John Roper wrote:

(snip Nils' pretty good summary of situation)

> Nils, I don't mean to be testy, and perhaps we don't disagree.  My
> experience, and I have been aroung a long time, is that studs break not
> because of fatigue, but becaues of poor metallurgy(Italian stuff), from
> overtightening which stretches and reduces diameter, and because of nuts
> that seize on the stud by corrosion.
====
If I encounter a broken stud I really don't care what the exact
mechanism of failure was. I care about getting it out and keeping it
from happening again. But as to the last cause--if the seized nut caused
the stud to break, then the stud was *stuck* in the casting--otherwise
the stud would have unscrewed--and that's exactly the problem we're
trying to avoid.

>> If you do not secure the stud in
> the casting, then you will more often than not withdraw the stud rather
> than removing the nut, which in certain applications can be a problem.
====
I'm having a hard time imagining a situation in which this would not be
a mere inconvenience rather than a problem. Simply remove the nut from
the stud, or replace both with new parts, and put the stud back in. If I
have a choice between the stud unscrewing or damage to the fastening
system occurring, I'll take the unscrewed stud *every time.* So in any
application where heat or water is likely to cause long-term problems, I
use anti-seize with an appropriate reduction in torque values.

> Thus I prefer to secure the stud, which loctite does well.  That will
> not solve the problem of corrosion outside the casting, but will provide
> a stud that is both secure and removable.  That is my preference.  To
> each his own.  John
====
Yes, indeed. "My own" is to make assemblies that can be serviced easily
next week, next year or next decade. Or even next century!!! (Don't know
if I'd say that in three years, though.)

Joe
--
Heather & Joe Way
Sierra Specialty Automotive