Re: Loc-Tite vs. Anti-Sieze

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Loc-Tite vs. Anti-Sieze
From: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 12:56:59 -0400
At 06:34 PM 4/30/98 -0500, Susan and John Roper wrote:
>> I think you are missing the point here !   Studs used in
>> engine blocks were not intended to be put in with Loc-Tite
>> or similar products.  There is no problem removing studs
>> that are not broken (Everyone can do that !)   There is no
>> way to double nut or use a stud puller to remove the half
>> that's left in the block.  If you use just plain oil or a little
>> anti-seize I have been able to remove the piece without
>> too much trouble.   I invite you to try it after you have
>> used Loc-Tite on it !    It ain't any fun at all !
>>
>> Regards, Nils
>Again, I beg to differ.  The issue under discussion was the use of
>thread locker in installing replacement studs, after the broken stud had
>been removed.  The representation was made that loctite would prohibit
>subsequent disassembly.  It will not. further, the purpose of using a
>stud rather than a bolt that would be removed fron the casting from time
>to time is that the threads in the casting are not suitable for multiple
>dissassemblies.  I have yet to see a fastener secured by loctite that is
>sufficiently corroded to shear, not even close.  A stud in a casting is
>properly installed by threading it in little more than finger tight,
>secured with loctite.  Lets not malign fine products if we don't
>understand their application.  John

Hey John, you don't have to beg!  It's a free country, you can differ all
you like.  If you read my comment you will see that I did not malign
Loc-Tite.  In fact I think it is a wonderful product when used
appropriately.  I agree with you about corrosion, I also have never seen a
stud that broke due to corrosion.  But that's not what breaks them ... it's
metal fatigue due to heat cycling over long periods that seems to do them
in.  I've been faced with removing a lot of them over the years (especially
the end ones on exhaust manifolds on Japanese six cylinder cars) Broken
studs are a fact of life and one of the most frustrating of all things to
deal with (especially if trying to remove them while engine is still in the
car)... but you have to make the best of it.

My only point is that there is no need to use it in this application,
especially when it makes the removal of such a stud more difficult (notice,
I did not say that it can't be done) than if you did not use it.  Why use
anything other than oil or anti seize when its totally unnecessary ?  After
all, in most applications that I am aware of it was not used in the
original installation and in my 30 plus years of experience I have yet to
have very many studs fall out because they were not glued in ... but I have
had plenty of broken ones to contend with (and when I am faced with
removing one, I want it to be as easy as possible)!

Regards, Nils