tiny air compressor

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: tiny air compressor
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:13:32 -0500
I'm on the prowl for a very small air compressor, to use at the race track
to air up tires, and to operate (infrequently) an air wrench to remove wheel
nuts.  My generator can handle a 1 HP motor, and I was planning to pick up
one of those little compressors intended to run contractors air nailers.  But...

I saw a little 1 HP tankless compressor last night at Sears.  The unit was
identical to the pump on the contractor model, but no tank.  I've got an 5
or 10 gallon air pig that I use to carry air around now - I thought why not
get the little compressor unit, rig up an attachment to put the air pig in
line with it when I'm at the track, and I get the ultimate in portable - a
detachable tank air compressor!  I'd also have to rig a pressure cut-off
switch on the compressor.

Two things to keep in mind - little air compressors have a half life
measured in minutes before they're stolen at the racetrack, but air pigs
last forever, cause no one wants them.  So I could keep the compressor unit
in the trailer, and have the tank outside, if need be.  And this is
definitely a second unit - it's going to get about 15 running hours a year,
at the most.

Any advice?  TIA, Brian