Re: HVLP Spray guns

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: HVLP Spray guns
From: ejrussell@sprynet.com
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 14:19:44 -0800 (PST)
There are two types of HVLP guns. One uses a turbine to supply the HVLP (High
Volume Low Pressure) air. The other is a 'conversion' gun that converts
compressed air (Low Volume High Pressure??) to provide HVLP. The conversion gun
often requires a fairly powerful compressor (10 - 15 hp). The turbine powered
system does not require any compressed air at all unless you wish to use a
pressure pot. In that case a large volume of compressed air is not needed.
There
are a few homeowner HVLP models on the market; my impression is that they are
for small jobs.

Another thing to consider when comparing guns is what type of materials you are
likely to be spraying. If you are spraying water based materials (more and more
common now) check that the internals of the gun are rust-proof. If you are
spraying solvent based materials (lacquers etc) make sure the internals are
solvent proof.

Check "TIP TOOLS" for info and prices. I can't find my catalog right now, they
do have a web site, I *think* the address is <www.tiptools.com>. I have bought
lot of sandblast supplies from them. Good prices, good advice, fast service.

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, nogera@juno.com wrote:
>I'm thinking of switching to a HVLP gun for use in my home shop.  I don't
>spray that often so I'd like to keep the cost down.  I've read that you
>have to have a  lot of air for these guns to operate. My little 2 hp
>compressor ( made when 2 HP was really 2 HP ) has worked well  for my
>needs ( other than with a DA sander ) and I really have no need for more
>volume.
>Will the HVLP gun work on a compressor this small?
>Any suggestions as to a Gun ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Bob Nogueira

>Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Eric <ejrussell@sprynet.com>
Bridgewater, MA
'41 Chevy 1 1/2 ton
'58 Volvo 544