Workbench Constr.....

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Workbench Constr.....
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 10:13:00 -0500
-> flouresents,light stands, and several job specific lights scattered
-> along the bench. I'm the kind of guy that can't get enough light,
-> must be the signs of age!

 My Dad and I both have workshops.  He's into woodworking, I do metal.
Dad had his shop long before I got mine, of course.  A 25x25 steel
building on a slab, a few 4' flourescents, benches on both sides.  Mine
is 20x35, wood framed.  A few years ago - he was 65 then - he lost part
of the vision in one eye, got very depressed, and began talking about
getting rid of some of his tools.

 Being obsessed with light myself, I'd sheetrocked the walls in mine and
painted them white, painted the floor light gray, and used lots of
independently switched 8' flourescent lights.  By contrast Dad's shop
was covered in years of dust on the bare insulation, the 4' flourescents
were few, and the floor was darkened with age.

 "You need more light in here," I said.

 "There's plenty of light in here," he replied.

 The frontal approach having failed, I started making snide comments on
subsequent visits.  My wife and various friends, suitably briefed, put
their two bits in.  Shortly after Dad began painting everything white,
hung up *lots* of lights, even put white Formica on the countertops.  It
looks like an operating theater in there now.  And he's pushing 70, and
putters around out there all day.  Well, his new shop, since he moved.
He painted, rewired, and relit the new shop before even moving his stuff
in.

 Sometimes you just gotta use 'parental psychology'...