Re: Generators

To: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Generators
From: Drew Mutch <dmutch@mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 10:22:53 EST
>     generator section, which you can buy separately. The trick is that you
>     have to have the motor run at the right speed, to provide the right
>     voltage out of the generator. (Not hard, just measure the voltage and
>     vary the throttle till it's at 120.)

it's trickier than that - if you are talking about an AC generator to
provide house power, you need to control generator speed (by governing
engine speed) precisely to maintain the frequency at 60 Hz.

If you're just running lights, frequency doesn't really matter, if
you want to operate anything with a motor, (other than AC/DC motors
such as simple drills and the like) frequency becomes more important.

Regards,
Drew Mutch

87 VW cabriolet
83 VW cabriolet (now a parts car - anybody want some?)
66 Chevy C-10 (I wish I had it here in Boston)