Re: steel shop building

To: Don Bowen <donb@cts.com>
Subject: Re: steel shop building
From: Steve Hammatt <shammatt@sos.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 18:40:11 -0800
Don Bowen wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with steel shop buildings?  I am looking to
> build a shop and would like to keep the cost low.  I was just quoted
> $18,000 for a stick frame building that looks like the house.  I have seen
> ads for steel buildings for around $5000.  With another $5000 for concrete
> this brings it in under my budget.
>
> How are they in summer heat and winter cold?
>
> Don Bowen                       Senior Software Engineer
> Valley Center, CA               Virtual Integrators
> donb@cts.com                    Don.bowen@integrators.com
>
> http://www.users.cts.com/crash/d/donb
> http://www.integrators.com/bowens
Don
I recently had a shop bldg built on my couple of acres in NW
Washington.  2,000sf, "L"-shaped, with 2 garage sise doors and
one HUGE 24'x11' shop door plus an all-steel man door with insulated
glass; the three big doors have electric openers.
All the above, with doors, openers, insulation on roof, 6
3'x4' dbl pane insulated PVC sliding windows, extra trim around
bottom of side walls and windows, facia covered, etc.  Cost was
around $25K.  This was not a simple design, but fit my area
just right :-)

The only thing I'd change would be to add the roll insulation to
the walls.  What I'm engine up doing is to slowly insulate with
fiberglass whenever I get energetic.

Good Luck

Steve