Re: lubrication

To: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com (JAMES_S_WALLACE),
Subject: Re: lubrication
From: alexander.mclellan@eurocontrol.be (McLELLAN Alexander, DED/1)
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 08:18:37 +0100
JAMES_S_WALLACE wrote

>Item Subject: lubrication
>
>     White grease just seems to be light-duty grease. I use it intuitively
>     where I think it will work well, with no real knowledge of why. It's
>     good for rear brake cylinders that slide on backing plates, or for
>     speedometer cables.

I know two sorts of white grease.
One is a light, white waterproof grease, used for packing bearings in
bicycle wheels. Not, AFAIK, for use on cars.

The other I have always known as 'brake grease' -    sold in the '70s & '80s
under that designation in car spares shops in the UK. It's a high melting
point grease, formulated for use on rear (and front!) brake cylinders that
slide on the back plate. I also used it to lubricate speedo cables and rear
hand-brake cables. A  pot of it lasts a lifetime!

Regards

Alex.

This message does not constitute official EUROCONTROL correspondence.
The Organisation is not responsible for its contents or the consequences
of its use, nor for inaccurate transmission or misdirection.