Re: Brake Line Flares

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake Line Flares
From: "Matt Liggett" <mliggett-receive-shop-talk@elise.kiva.net>
Date: 8 Dec 1997 17:25:02 -0000
Steve Noe wrote:
> Whilst cutting off school bus exhaust hangers some @@@hole welded
> onto a '87 Volvo 745T, I sliced through a brake line.
>
> I used a double flare tool and the appropriate SAE fittings
> to rejoin the line.
>
> My question is: should I have sought out an ISO bubble flare
> tool or will this fix with double flares do?

It seems like this assemble-once repair should be just fine with any
well-made flare and decent hardware.  BUT, it should only be
assemble-once.  The thing won't stand up to being taken apart and
reassembled well.

> The Volvo uses ISO bubble flares everywhere and the tubing seems to be
> some kind of copper alloy, easy to bend and form, unlike thin-wall
> steel lines in the auto parts stores.

This stuff can be hard to find in the states, but it is available.  Some
British car suppliers sell it.  You might try calling IPS, too, if you
would like to get some.

> My second question is:  are double flares and inverted flares
> the same thing?

I'm not sure.  You might have a look at

  http://www.dimebank.com/tech/BrakePlumbing.html

--
        Matt Liggett, SysAdmin
        Kiva Networking

'60 Mini 850 | '70 MG Midget | '89 SAAB 900t SPG