Brake Line Flares

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Brake Line Flares
From: Steve Noe <stevenoe@box-s.nih.gov>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 09:40:00 -0500
Whilst cutting off school bus exhaust hangers some @@@hole welded
onto a '87 Volvo 745T, I sliced through a brake line.

I used a double flare tool and the appropriate SAE fittings
to rejoin the line.

My question is: should I have sought out an ISO bubble flare
tool or will this fix with double flares do?  The Volvo
uses ISO bubble flares everywhere and the tubing seems to
be some kind of copper alloy, easy to bend and form, unlike
thin-wall steel lines in the auto parts stores.

My second question is:  are double flares and inverted flares
the same thing?

Thanks and season's greetings to all.

steve noe
'73 Valiant, '76 245, '84 533i, '89 Diplomat ex-police