Re: sandblast, again

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: sandblast, again
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:54:39 -0500
Dave Williams at 07:37 AM 11/17/97 -0500, you wrote:

> "Simple," I think.  "I'll just open one of my many catalogs and pick
>out a small pressure blaster, since most of the people I've talked to
>rave about how much better the pressure blasters are than the siphon
>types."
>
> Not so simple.  About half the catalog entries don't tell whether the
>gun is siphon or pressure type.  The other half appear to be entire
>blasting rigs, which I don't need.  I just need the gun.  And a *little*
>gun; my little cabinet (actually a homemade thingie derived from a clear
>plastic Rubbermaid blanket storage box) doesn't have room for a full
>size gun.
>
> Sooo... anyone know where I can pick up a small pressure blasting gun?

There's no such thing.  A pressure blaster is usually a large heavy steel
canister that stores the sand and is pressurized by the compressor.  It's
not just the gun as with paint spray guns.

As far a bang for the buck, a friend of mine picked up a pressure blaster
from "Odd-lots" for about $90.  I've seen the same pressure blaster in
Harbor Freight's cat. for about $150.

Also pressure blasters don't usually have a gun at all.  There is a nozzel
at the end of the hose with a ball valve to shut off sand and pressure.
I don't recommend turning it off that way.  Start by turning off the
pressure feed.  Otherwise you will eat up the ball valve in about 3 days!

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire