A thought or 2 on Migs

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: A thought or 2 on Migs
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@inline-tech.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:16:13 -0700 (PDT)
  Well after lots of discussion on this list and the British car list about
a month ago, I bought the Lincoln SP 125+ mig welder, withOUT the gas
bottle. It comes ready for gas, but I decided to save a buck at the last
minute.  There was
a lot of talk about gas or no gas, and by some miracle I broke something on
my Singer Roadster the afternoon I bought the mig so I got to practice right
away.

  I never had welded without gas before so here are a few observations for
the few of you who might care to know.  I was told that without gas there
would be a lot of smoke, well there is smoke but I have not found it to
hinder my view of my welding puddle at all, the smoke just does not get in
the way. On 1/8 and bigger steel I found that there very little difference
between gas and no gas but there is a big difference on sheet metal.  I had
a hard time welding on sheet metal and I did not have a hard time in the
past with my friends mig with gas.  The only other thing is that splatter is
much worse without gas no matter what I am welding, the splatter is bad.
But thats only a cosmetic issue.

  So thats it after 2 weeks, I find that gas does make a difference, but not
a big difference on steel.  On sheet metal, its a big difference.  Since my
current project is sheet metal, I am goign to rent myself a bottle this
weekend and keep it till I use up the gas.  Hopefully that will be after
Xmas and I can buy a bottle.

        mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ or ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                  .oooO  Oooo.         __._._.  O (Yahoo!)
bug-writer..er..programmer    (   )  (   )      ____ ._..  /\,
In-Line Technologies, Inc.     \ (    ) /                 -|~(*)
http://www.inline-tech.com      \_)  (_/     :::::::::.  (*)
michel   or   mikey@inline-tech.com          ::::::::::\............
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car, then
take a look at   http://www.inline-tech.com/singer/nasoc.html