[Non-MG] Dremel tool - Deed is done!

To: shop talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Non-MG] Dremel tool - Deed is done!
From: Carol <car@intersatx.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 11:32:27 -0500
Wow! Thank you all for the tremendous response to my query... I received
messages from at least 35 different people. Dremel should be very proud!

The general consensus was...

- Get the corded version. [ That's what I thought, too. ] If you have spare
change (or a birthday coming up) get a cordless version for other fun
stuff...!

- Rheostat: use a lamp dimmer or (my favorite) a sewing machine foot pedal!
I DO know how to use a sewing machine pedal! And about the lamp dimmer -- I
probably wouldn't have thought of using a dimmer on a motorized tool but
did buy one to use with my soldering iron on stained glass. If the iron's
too hot, the solder won't "mound" properly... it sort of gets flat and
looks awful.  Sounds like it's safe to use the rheostat on the tool, too.
Good deal!!

- Slide switch for variable speed. My mistake. Thanks for the
clarification. I've never used or seen the rotary tool in use, and didn't
notice the positions in the photos on the boxes. Tonight I saw the multiple
positions when I was circling for "the kill."

-Sears. Mentioned this elsewhere. I do appreciate the info on the sale.
Warranty is only one year, and an extra year costs another $7. Of course
that could be San Antonio Sears' policy. We get the rotary, monetary shaft
here in this burg more than you know... And there was no flex shaft
included for the $59 sale price.

-Ryobi. Had one in my hand along with the Dremel. I was going to take them
both home for "analysis" and return one of the two... but....

-Flex shaft. Got favorable reviews from all who mentioned it.

-Whiz bangs. Consensus was to buy the "tool" and get the accessories that
you will use. My deal was too good to pass up.

-Other makes. Several people mentioned using air tools and Foredom and some
other brands that I probably can't afford, but they sure sound neat...

-Many comments that "I don't know how I did without it...."  I'm sitting
here with my purchase beside me, but feel it was unfair to open it up
before I posted my findings...

Thanks for all your inputs... very valuable...

Carol