Re: [Non-MG] Dremel tool

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Non-MG] Dremel tool
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 13:55:45 -0500 (EDT)
Carol has probably started a lively discussion with her comments:

> I am going to get a MotoTool (aka Dremel).
Good decision.  I bought one sometime about a year ago, and
haven't regretted the decision.  By no means something I use
every day, but when it's brought out and put to use you'll
wonder how you ever got along without it.

> I can spend about $38. I can spend $59. I can spend $79. They come cordless
> and corded. The rpms are variable or fixed or 2-speed. The rpms vary from
> 10,000 to 30,000. They come with few tools to having a complete set-up that
> includes the flexible dealie, 105 tools, a nice case, and a booklet
> entitled "175 Ways to Use Your Dremel Tool".

Yep.  Many decisions.  I think I spent in the ~$50 range, and
got:  Dremel brand.  Corded.  Variable speed.  Plastic case.  Collection
of tools.  Flex shaft attachment.

> Ryobi and Black and Decker
> not sure all three brands share the same tools
I didn't really look at the other brands.  They're probably very
similar and indeed all share the 1/8" tool shaft size.

> The variable speed may not be all that great because you'd
> have to keep your finger on something to keep it going.
I like having the variable speed, and do sometimes operate it
at other than wide-open (20K-30K rpms or whatever it is).  Full
speed definately gets into the "dentist drill whine" range!  And
no, you don't have to hold it like a variable speed drill.  It
has a slide which you move from off->fast->faster->fastest.

> Won't the cordless version be less powerful in the long run?
Corded vs battery isn't really an issue for me.  I'm sure there
will be a project beyond the reach of my extension cord, but it
hasn't been a problem.  Also I think some of the accessories (mounting
things -- not tools) may not fit the battery models.  The cord
hasn't seemed to get in the way when using it.

> Can I put the thing in a shoe box for a case?
I really LIKE having a case made for specific tools.  And it has
rows of holes for the various tools which belong with it.  Could
you put it in a shoebox?  Sure.  And you don't need one of those
big red rollaround toolboxes for wrenches -- but lots of people
like them.

> Do I really need a 105-piece tool set?
Read the fine print on the tool set description.  I'll bet there
are about 20 "tools" and about 85 "pieces".  Typically the
count goes up because they include lots of sanding disks (circles
of sandpaper) and cutting disks (circles of rough metal).
I find that I use the cutting disks, the metal "burrs", and the
tiny wire brushes.  You can get lots of variations of size for
the cutting burrs, and indeed they are a bit pricy on a
"one-at-a-time" basis.

>  My delicate, fat fingers are sorta' short. The tool is chunky.
I haven't used the flex shaft, but this should help.  My
non-delicate fat fingers work ok with the unit itself.

I want the router plate attachment for my next addition to the
Dremel collection.  I'd like to try my hand at lettering on
some small wooden signs (my regular router is too big for what
I have in mind).

Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com