[Non-MG] Dremel tool

To: shop talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Non-MG] Dremel tool
From: Carol <car@texas.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 11:14:30 -0500

I wish I'd known about Dremel tools when the Dremel King, Ray Gibbons, was
here to advise me, but... I defer my question to the rest of the info pool
on this list...

I am going to get a MotoTool (aka Dremel). Period. I'm getting one. You
can't talk me out of it! ;-)

Now...

I will use it with car stuff, and with redoing a couple of antiques I have
around here. (No, not him!!!) I also just realized that it will aid in
making odd parts fit into computer systems that I put together for odd
clients. (use a 286 case for a pentium system --- talk about a security
system!)

I can spend about $38. I can spend $59. I can spend $79. They come cordless
and corded. The rpms are variable or fixed or 2-speed. The rpms vary from
10,000 to 30,000. They come with few tools to having a complete set-up that
includes the flexible dealie, 105 tools, a nice case, and a booklet
entitled "175 Ways to Use Your Dremel Tool".

Ryobi also has their model (2-year guarantee vs. 5 years) and Black and
Decker has one now, too. I'm not sure all three brands share the same
tools... probably do...

Obviously, the simple decision to "buy" has become clouded. I'm confused.

Do I really need a 105-piece tool set? Can I put the thing in a shoe box
for a case? Won't the cordless version be less powerful in the long run?

I've never used one of these things, but I can see the possibilities. The
little tools are sort of expensive ($3 and up) on an individual basis, so
maybe the extra tools are a plus. I dunno... The variable speed may not be
all that great because you'd have to keep your finger on something to keep
it going. My delicate, fat fingers are sorta' short. The tool is chunky.
That's a consideration: hand-fatigue.

Any ideas out there?? Remember: working on the un-bought MGA, getting
grunge out of niches in antique hardware, remodeling computer cases... and,
of course, other un-thought-of uses... Bang for the buck is the goal here.

TIA

Carol