Re: cheap air tools

To: james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com (James Babcock)
Subject: Re: cheap air tools
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 17:24:19 -0400
At 01:58 PM 9/19/97 -0400, James Babcock wrote:

>I'm wondering about people's experience with cheap air tools.  I'm thinking
>of buying either a cutoff tool or an air ratchet.  I see several makes
>of these tools in Harbour Freight and Northern Hydraulics catalogs.
>I've noticed that some list members have these types of tools,
>so I'm askin' for advice.

Jim,

Most of my air tools have come from Northern Hydraulics, an IR impact
wrench, (I also have a cheap $25 one) 3/8" & 1/4" (which I've never used)
drive ratchet.  (I've have sheared the gears on one 3/8" ratchet trying
to undo bolts.  Now I use the impact wrench.  Use the ratchet after the
bolt is broken loose or for putting them back on.  Once they start to
tighten, I use a manual ratchet so I can feel it.  Their DA and inline
sanders, and a angle die grinder.  Don't have any complaints about the
life I've gotten out of ANY of the air tools so far.

>Does the cutoff tool have a tendancy to stall?  I would be using this
>tool mostly to cut exhaust parts.

As for the cut off tool - don't know. I usually use my die grinder.  I've
tried it on exhaust pipes and it was real tough going.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire