Re: Air compressors and Migs

To: mikey@inline-tech.com
Subject: Re: Air compressors and Migs
From: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 08:18:41 -0400

>   2. Anybody have a opinion on Mig welders ? I am thinking of saving a few
> bucks and going with the Lincoln SP125+ and using flux-cored wire so I don't
> have to spend the money on the gas junk.  I have only welded with gas though
> and I don't know what difference there would be.  I am a oxy/acetalene kind
> of guy... I have some panels to fix up for my Roadster and with oxy I am
> afraid of warping them due to heat.  Mig should be easier to control the
> heat with.

I used the Lincoln Weldpack 100 with the MIG upgrade kit to do the sills,
floors and rockers on my MGB.  It was my first experience with welding
and the work turned well.  I have never used the flux-core wire which
came with my welder.  Feedback I got from this list is that your
welding comes out neater and requires less cleanup if you use the
CO2-AR gas.

The welding shop where I buy my gas had a Lincoln welder which looked
similar to mine with the MIG kit already installed (it may have
been the SP125).  If I had it to do over, I would buy that model
and save the time required to install the conversion kit.

One more suggestion: buy took gas tanks so will always have a full
one you can switch to when you run out of gas (CO2-AR) on Saturday
afternoon an hour after the welding shop closes.

Peter Schauss
ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net
1963 BJ7