Re: Air compressors and Migs

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Air compressors and Migs
From: "Gorman, George" <ggorman@dsava.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 18:18:51 -0400
 On 9/17/97 Mike Rambour wrote:

<snip>
  1. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the 6.5hp 60 gallon
vertical air compressor that Sears sells these days.  I have a tired 22 year
old 4hp Craftsman compressor that still compresses air but the auto shutoff
is broken right now.  And its getting tired anyway.  Would it be worth new
rings and shutoff to keep this nice (last forever) cast iron compressor or
go with this 6.5hp new one that probably won't last as long but has much
better CFM ( which I could really use ).  Also how long do the air tanks
last anyway, before they go boom...
<snip>

Mike:

I've had the Sears 6 HP 60 gal vertical oilless compressor for about two years
now.  I use it to drive everything from paint guns to air tools to my bead
blaster cabinet.  Absolutely no problems, and the lack of oil really helps when
you're painting.  Only gripe I have is that the unit is noisy.  I put mine
behind a movable screen of acoustic tile in my garage, but it still gets to me
when I'm spending a day bead blasting.  Fortunately, when I'm blasting, about
the time I need a break, it can use a break too, so it all seems to work out.
I think if I spent a lot of time running high demand items, I might spring for
a two-stage unit (at at least twice the cost).  But for my auto restoration
projects, I've had absolutely no problems.  Highly recommended.

George Gorman
Manassas, VA