abrasive media

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: abrasive media
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 10:19:00 -0500
 I abrasive blast parts prior to applying Tech Line's do-it-yourself
thermal barrier and moly coatings.  Tech Line recommended one of the
little airbrush style blasters and 220 to 280 grit silicon carbide
media.  I found the blaster and media for sale in JC Whitney.

 The problem I'm having is that I lose a lot of the abrasive while
working.  Some sticks to the parts, some escapes from the cabinet, etc.
Whitney wants $6 for a small bottle of abrasive - about a good-sized
coffee cup of the stuff.  So I've been looking for a cheaper source.

 Tech Line said to check an industrial supply house.  Grainger carries
glass beads in various sizes.  Tech Line says not to use the beads.
Grainger has "ground glass", but it's very coarse.  They don't list
anything even approximately close to 220 grit silicon carbide.

 Eastwood has walnut shells, glass beads, silicon carbide, and aluminum
oxide listed, but they only carry 60 grit.  Slightly too coarse.

 Anyone have a good source for this kind of stuff?

====dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us========================DoD#978=======
  can you help me...help me get out of this place?...slow sedation...
ain't my style, ain't my pace...giving me a number...NINE, SEVEN, EIGHT
==5.0 RX7 -> Tyrannosaurus RX! == SAE '82 == Denizens of Doom M/C '92==